Arsenal have done "more work" on "sensational" £90k-p/w forward Berta wants
Arsenal have done “more work” than any other suitors on a popular striker target, who new sporting director Andrea Berta is keen to sign, according to a new report.
Berta ready to put his imprint on Arsenal
Edu’s unexpected departure as Arsenal’s sporting director late last year sent shockwaves through the club, with many fans wondering how the club would move forward without the man partly responsible for the club’s resurgence in recent years.
Well, now they have the answer. On Sunday, Andrea Berta was confirmed as Arsenal’s new sporting director, ushering in an exciting new era at the Emirates Stadium.
Berta arrives in North London with a wealth of experience, having worked in technical roles for Italian sides Carpenedolo, Parma and Genoa and, most recently, Atlético Madrid, where he spent almost 12 years and played a major role in building the teams which won La Liga in both 2013/14 and 2020/21.
In his first interview following his appointing, Berta said that he can’t wait to help shape Arsenal’s future.
“I have watched with great interest the way Arsenal has evolved in recent years and I have admired the hard work that has gone into re-establishing the club as a major force in European football with a passionate following around the world,” he said.
“The club has great values and a rich history, and I am looking forward to playing my part in shaping a successful future with a great team. I cannot wait to get started in my new role and I am really looking forward to experiencing my first game at Emirates Stadium together with our supporters.”
Berta wants Cunha as Gunners begin work on signing
Having signed the likes of Antoine Griezmann, Rodri and Jan Oblak for Atleti over the years, Berta is now looking to get to work quickly at Arsenal, and reportedly already has his eye on a summer signing in the form of Wolverhampton Wanderers forward Matheus Cunha.
Described as “absolutely sensational” by former Manchester City star turned pundit Micah Richards, Cunha, who has been Wolves’ standout player this season, scoring 15 goals in all competitions, has been a target for Arsenal for some time, with the Gunners wanting him in January but being put off by Wolves’ £80 million asking price.
Related
Ex-Arsenal star who’s watched Cunha for years reveals trait Arteta loves
The Gunners could target the Wolves star…
According to a new report from TEAMtalk, however, the Brazil international will be available for a much lower price in the summer, and Arsenal have done “more work” on signing Cunha than his other suitors. He is now “under serious consideration” by Berta.
The publication reports that the Gunners will face competition from Liverpool for the £90k per week star, with the Merseyside club having already been in contact to ask about the conditions of a deal for Cunha and whether he would be interested in a switch to Anfield.
Nottingham Forest are also reported to be plotting a bold move for the talented forward, and believe securing a Champions League spot would significantly boost their chances of sealing the deal.
https://static0.footballfancastimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2025/03/arsenal-berta-dream-lineup.jpg